Site updated 02/26/14 10:40 AM Upper Dauphin Sentinel ©2006
Ten high school swimmers from the Sentinel’s coverage area have qualified for tournaments in Districts 3, 4 and 11 later this week.
In District 3, Class AA, Millersburg’s Cole Davis and Ian Lloyd are returning to districts. They will be joined by fellow Indians McKenzie Smith and Richard Cross.
Halifax will be represented for the second straight year by Stephanie Paulauskas. She will be joined by Natalie Frantz and Ava Kappenhagen.
In 3-AAA, Central Dauphin’s Michael Senyak also is returning.
In 4-AA, Line Mountain’s Lauren Giordani is returning for her fourth and final tournament.
In District 11-AA, Tri-Valley’s Mackenzie Klock also is returning for the fourth straight year.
The D4 event is Wednesday and Thursday, Feb. 26-27 at Williamsport Area High School. The D3 and D11 tournaments will be held Friday and Saturday, Feb. 28-March 1, at Cumberland Valley High School in New Kingstown (D3) and Parkland High School in Allentown (D11).
Area swimmers will compete in the following events:
• Davis, a senior, in the 200 Individual Medley (Feb. 28); and 500 Freestyle (March 1).
• Lloyd, a senior, 100 Butterfly (Feb. 28); and 100 Backstroke (March 1).
• Smith, a junior, 100 Fly (Feb. 28);
• Cross, a freshman, 100 Fly (Feb. 28).
• Paulauskas, a sophomore, 100 Breaststroke (March 1).
• Frantz, a sophomore, 200 IM (Feb. 28); and 100 Back (March 1).
• Kappenhagen, a sophomore, 200 IM (Feb. 28); and 100 Back (March 1).
• Senyak, a senior, 100 Fly (Feb. 28) and 100 Back (March 1) individual events; and 200 Medley (Feb. 28) and 200 Free (Feb. 28) Relay events.
• Giordani, a senior, 500 Free and 100 Breast (both Feb. 27).
• Klock, a senior, 50 Free (Feb. 28); and 100 Back (March 1).
All events are measured in yards and are separated by gender.
State tournament and qualification requirements. The PIAA (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association) will hold the Class AA/AAA state swimming championships Wednesday through Saturday, March 12, through 15, at Kinney Natatorium on the campus of Bucknell University, Lewisburg. (AAA events are held March 12-13, while AA is scheduled for March 14-15).
Area swimmers are vying to be among the qualifiers for this tournament, based on the finishing times they record at their district meets. Thirty-two swimmers will be selected for each individual event.
Advertising - Strategic Marketing
Contact us today for your free consultation.
Local: 717.692.5262 Fax: 717.692.2420