How to Submit Articles
Articles may be mailed, faxed or hand carried to the Upper Dauphin Sentinel, 510 Union St., Millersburg, PA 17061. Brief items may be telephoned to the newspaper by calling (717) 692-4737 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The fax number is (717) 692-2420. The e-mail address is email@example.com.
- All news articles and photos, Thursday, 4 p.m.
- Church page schedule listings, Thursday, 4 p.m.
- Classifieds (reading & display), Thursday, 4 p.m.
- Display advertisements, Thursday, 4 p.m.
- Bowling results, Thursday, 4 p.m.
Time Limits for Submitting Articles
- For news articles, birthdays, anniversaries, church news, sports, school news (except Dean’s List), and business news, the time limit is one month after the fact.
- For weddings, birth announcements, Dean’s List and military news, and new businesses, the time limit is three months after the fact. (Weddings, birthdays, and birth announcements are subject to late fees if submitted after the time limits.)
- All submissions must be complete, typewritten or handwritten legibly and include the name and daytime phone number of a contact person.
- Letters to the editor must include the writer’s name, address and daytime phone number and be less than 400 words in length.
- Birth announcements submitted by unmarried parents must include the name and daytime phone number of both parents.
- All obituaries must come through the funeral director.
- Submissions about upcoming events will be published once and repeated once only if space permits and the contact person requests it. Photos and forms will not be repeated.
- Submitted articles cannot run simultaneously in a community column and as a separate article.
- Requests for photo coverage should be made as far in advance as possible and must include the specific time the photo is to be taken. All requests are granted at the editor’s discretion. There is no guarantee that short-notice requests can be granted.
- Submitted photos can be either color or black and white but must be good quality. Photos not accompanied by a stamped, self-addressed envelope cannot be mailed back.
What the Sentinel Does Not Publish
- Submissions promoting alcohol consumption, obscene or pornographic material, the practice of astrology, state lotteries, raffles, 50-50 tickets or other similar items sold to qualify for prizes;
- The names of people who attend reunions, baby and bridal showers, picnics, parties and other similar social functions;
- Help wanted ads for paid positions or profit-making ventures for individuals or businesses and
- Expressions of thanks for help during a disaster or illness or for gifts received during a birthday or anniversary. (Such items must run as a paid card of thanks.)
- The Sentinel reserves the right to edit or rewrite submitted articles and to crop, reduce or enlarge submitted photos.
- All submissions are run in the order received and as space permits, except for dated articles which are given priority.