How to Submit Articles
Articles may be mailed, faxed or hand carried to the Upper Dauphin Sentinel, 510 Union
St., Millersburg, PA 17061. Brief items may be telephoned to the newspaper by calling
(717) 692-4737 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The fax number is (717) 692-2420. The e-mail
1. All news articles and photos, Thurs., 4 p.m.
2. Church page schedule listings, Thurs., 4 p.m.
3. Classifieds (reading & display), Thurs., 4 p.m.
4. Display advertisements, Fri., noon.
5. Bowling results, Thurs., 4 p.m.
Time Limits for Submitting Articles
1. For news articles, birthdays, anniversaries, church news, sports, school news (except
Dean's List), and business news, the time limit is one month after the
2. For weddings, birth announcements, Dean's List and military news, and new businesses,
the time limit is three months after the fact. (Weddings, birthdays, and
birth announcements are subject to late fees if submitted after the time limits.)
1. All submissions must be complete, typewritten or handwritten legibly and include the
name and daytime phone number of a contact person.
2. Letters to the editor must include the writer's name, address and daytime phone number
and be less than 400 words in length.
3. Birth announcements submitted by unmarried parents must include the name and daytime
phone number of both parents.
4. All obituaries must come through the funeral director.
5. Submissions about upcoming events will be published once and repeated once only if
space permits and the contact person requests it. Photos and forms will not be repeated.
6. Submitted articles cannot run simultaneously in a community column and as a separate
1. Requests for photo coverage should be made as far in advance as possible and must
include the specific time the photo is to be taken. All requests are granted at the
editor's discretion. There is no guarantee that short-notice requests can
2. Submitted photos can be either color or black and white but must be good quality.
Photos not accompanied by a stamped, self-addressed envelope cannot be mailed back.
What the Sentinel Does Not Publish
1. Submissions promoting alcohol consumption, obscene or pornographic material, the
practice of astrology, state lotteries, raffles, 50-50 tickets or other similar items sold
to qualify for prizes;
2. The names of people who attend reunions, baby and bridal showers, picnics, parties and
other similar social functions;
3. Help wanted ads for paid positions or profit-making ventures for
individuals or businesses and
4. Expressions of thanks for help during a disaster or illness or for gifts received
during a birthday or anniversary. (Such items must run as a paid card of
1. The Sentinel reserves the right to edit or rewrite submitted articles and to crop,
reduce or enlarge submitted photos.
2. All submissions are run in the order received and as space permits, except for
dated articles which are given priority.
Questions about these guidelines should be
directed to Duane Good, Sentinel editor, at (717) 692-4737, ext. 104 or e-mail